Based in Champaign IL + Austin TX
July 16th, 2011
Press / Business contact:
Use email or twitter above
Stellar Jockeys was started by brothers Hugh and Jack Monahan, who endeavor to give players the sort of lovingly detailed and hand crafted game experiences they grew up with in the golden era of PC gaming. In a stunning display of international solidarity, they hired their favorite Canadian, Karl Parakenings, and also work with the rare Irishman in Paris, Benjamin Glover. Makeup and Vanity Set is a regular collaborator who to date has scored all SJ projects. Together, their goal is nothing less than total domination of dark science fiction action games with too much lore in them.
Created in 2011, the original Stellar Jockeys team included programmers Harry Hsiao and Dale Kim who would write the company's engine and back-end. Prior to co-founding Stellar Jockeys, Jack Monahan was the lead level designer on Darkest of Days (2009) and author of the well-regarded 'Design Reboot' blog. Hugh worked as a teacher and freelance illustrator until switching to full-time management and design for the studio.The Brigador Years
Originally titled Matador, Brigador and the studio were officially announced February 1st, 2014, and first publicly demoed at PAX Prime 2015. Brad Buckmaster began serving as a technical consultant in 2014 while authoring the Brigador novelization that launched alongside the game (edited by Benjamin Glover and adapted as an audiobook by Ryan Cooper). Karl Parakenings joined the core team as a writer in 2016 and would later take on programming duties as well. Brigador released on Early Access Oct. 16th 2015, launched v1.0 on June 2nd, 2016, and re-launched as the 'Up-Armored Edition' on June 2nd, 2017. The development of Brigador was entirely self-funded.Life After Brigador
Following the v1.0 launch in 2016, Harry Hsiao and Dale Kim parted the studio amicably for programming jobs at AAA studios. Internally development began on a followup title at the end of 2017, which will be officially announced early 2019.
Brigador Up-Armored Launch Trailer YouTube
PC Gamer PAX Prime 2015 Interview YouTube
Infinite Lives PAX Prime 2015 Interview YouTube
2016 Full Indie Summit talk on Brigador's Launch YouTube
Pecha-Kucha talk on Empathy in Games YouTube
GDC 2018 Failure Workshop talk YouTube
There are far more images available for Stellar Jockeys, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo & Icon
- "Look at this cool skull with a dagger through it... This is Brigador. This is John Carpenter's motherfucking Brigador."
- Austin Walker, Vincent Caravella, Alex Navarro, Giant Bomb
- "Brigador isn't a cash-in on nostalgia... It's the real deal, like it was sent forward in time, without any attempt at irony or pandering and it's f*@$#ng awesome."
- Jake Yanik, CG Magazine Online
- "The Most Interesting Game at GDC was Being Shown From Some Dude's Backpack"
- David Wolinsky, Kill Screen
- "Blowing up everything in Brigador, one of the toughest games at PAX"
- Tyler Wilde, PC Gamer
- ""...Its hyper-detailed pixel art nightscapes are cool. Its electronic music by Makeup and Vanity Set is cool. Its mixture of all-out combat and tactical semi-stealth is cool. Its evocation of late-'80s/early-'90s scifi films and Amiga games is cool.""
- Graham Smith, Rock Paper Shotgun
- ""...Stellar Jockeys are essentially the Independent Studio equivalent of The Avengers. Their elite four man team of laser focused programmers, and highly trained artists seem to function like Marvel's band of heroes.""
- Nick Gunnare, Blackman'n Robin
Brigador gifs gallery
Includes gifs and extra info on Brigador imgur.com.
"Design Reboot" design blog
Writings on design by Jack Monahan, 2009-2015 designreboot.blogspot.com/.
Jack Monahan on Twitch
Art stream for Brigador twitch.tv.
Hugh Monahan on Twitch
Level and game design stream for Brigador twitch.tv.
Team & Repeating Collaborator
Author, Technical Consultant
Makeup and Vanity Set
A Shell in the Pit