Based in Champaign IL + Austin TX
June 2nd, 2016
|USD||$20 + $10 OST|
Brigador is an isometric mech action game set in completely destructible environments. A broad range of difficulty, offering a strong challenge without being unfair. Lush revivalist graphic style reminds you of what 90's games would look like now. Huge variety of playable vehicles and weapons, deep tactics and high skill ceiling with custom map support all contribute to a game built to be played and enjoyed for a long time.
With a scratch-built engine Brigador (formerly Matador) and the studio were officially announced February 1st, 2014, and first publicly demoed at PAX Prime 2015. Brad Buckmaster began serving as a technical consultant in 2014 while authoring the Brigador novelization that launched alongside the game (edited by Benjamin Glover and adapted as an audiobook by Ryan Cooper). Karl Parakenings joined the core team as a writer in 2016 and would later take on programming duties as well. Brigador released on Early Access Oct. 16th 2015, launched v1.0 on June 2nd, 2016, and re-launched as the 'Up-Armored Edition' on June 2nd, 2017. The development of Brigador was entirely self-funded, and as of 2018 maintains an 'Overwhelmingly Positive' rating on Steam.
- Choose from many different mechs, tanks, and antigrav vehicles to pilot
- Completely destructible environments
- Wide range of weapons available for different play styles
- High detail, pre-authored levels and custom map support
- Short, high intensity playthroughs with randomized enemies: every run is different
- Original soundtrack by Makeup and Vanity Set
- Tie-in novel and audiobook by Brad Buckmaster
Brigador All-Saints Update aka the Horns Trailer YouTube
Brigador Up-Armored Launch Trailer YouTube
Early Access Launch Trailer YouTube
Early Access Trailer YouTube
Contract Trailer YouTube
Reveal Trailer YouTube
PC Gamer PAX Prime 2015 Interview YouTube
Infinite Lives PAX Prime 2015 Interview YouTube
Logo & Icon
- "Look at this cool skull with a dagger through it... This is Brigador. This is John Carpenter's motherfucking Brigador."
- Austin Walker, Vincent Caravella, Alex Navarro, Giant Bomb
- "Brigador isn’t a cash-in on nostalgia... It’s the real deal, like it was sent forward in time, without any attempt at irony or pandering—and it’s f*@$#ng awesome."
- Jake Yanik, CG Magazine Online
- "The Most Interesting Game at GDC was Being Shown From Some Dude's Backpack"
- David Wolinsky, Kill Screen
- "Blowing up everything in Brigador, one of the toughest games at PAX"
- Tyler Wilde, PC Gamer
- ""...Its hyper-detailed pixel art nightscapes are cool. Its electronic music by Makeup and Vanity Set is cool. Its mixture of all-out combat and tactical semi-stealth is cool. Its evocation of late-'80s/early-'90s scifi films and Amiga games is cool.""
- Graham Smith, Rock Paper Shotgun
- ""...Stellar Jockeys are essentially the Independent Studio equivalent of The Avengers. Their elite four man team of laser focused programmers, and highly trained artists seem to function like Marvel's band of heroes.""
- Nick Gunnare, Blackman'n Robin
Brigador gifs gallery
Includes gifs and extra info on Brigador http:.
"Design Reboot" design blog
Writings on design by Jack Monahan, 2009-2015 http:.
Jack Monahan on Twitch
Art stream for Brigador http:.
Hugh Monahan on Twitch
Level and game design stream for Brigador http:.
About Stellar Jockeys
Stellar Jockeys was started by brothers Hugh and Jack Monahan, who endeavor to give players the sort of lovingly detailed and hand crafted game experiences they grew up with in the golden era of PC gaming. In a stunning display of international solidarity, they hired their favorite Canadian, Karl Parakenings, and also work with the rare Irishman in Paris, Benjamin Glover. Makeup and Vanity Set is a regular collaborator who to date has scored all SJ projects. Together, their goal is nothing less than total domination of dark science fiction action games with too much lore in them.
More information on Stellar Jockeys, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Author, Technical Consultant
Makeup and Vanity Set
A Shell in the Pit