Based in Champaign, Illinois
July 16, 2011
Press / Business contact:
Use email or twitter above
The Stellar Jockeys are a 4-man team who've worked together full time since the end of 2012: brothers Hugh and Jack Monahan handle art and design while Harry Hsiao and Dale Kim handle programming. Our first commercial title as a team is Brigador, an isometric vehicular action game and built with our own custom engine. As a studio our aim is producing high quality, mechanically interesting games; Brigador hopefully being the first of many to that end.
Brigador (originally Matador) and our studio Stellar Jockeys were officially announced February 1st, 2014, and first publicly demoed at PAX Prime 2015. Brigador releases on Early Access Oct. 16th 2015, with a final release date to be set sometime in 2016. Prior to joining Stellar Jockeys, Jack Monahan was the lead level designer on Darkest of Days in addition to writing the well regarded Design Reboot blog.
EA Launch Trailer YouTube
Early Access Trailer YouTube
Reveal Trailer YouTube
Contract Trailer YouTube
PC Gamer PAX Prime 2015 Interview YouTube
Infinite Lives PAX Prime 2015 Interview YouTube
There are far more images available for Stellar Jockeys, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Look at this cool skull with a dagger through it... This is Brigador. This is John Carpenter's motherfucking Brigador."
- Austin Walker, Vincent Caravella, Alex Navarro, Giant Bomb
- "Brigador isn't a cash-in on nostalgia... It's the real deal, like it was sent forward in time, without any attempt at irony or pandering and it's f*@$#ng awesome."
- Jake Yanik, CG Magazine Online
- "The Most Interesting Game at GDC was Being Shown From Some Dude's Backpack"
- David Wolinsky, Kill Screen
- "Blowing up everything in Brigador, one of the toughest games at PAX"
- Tyler Wilde, PC Gamer
- ""...Its hyper-detailed pixel art nightscapes are cool. Its electronic music by Makeup and Vanity Set is cool. Its mixture of all-out combat and tactical semi-stealth is cool. Its evocation of late-'80s/early-'90s scifi films and Amiga games is cool.""
- Graham Smith, Rock Paper Shotgun
- ""...Stellar Jockeys are essentially the Independent Studio equivalent of The Avengers. Their elite four man team of laser focused programmers, and highly trained artists seem to function like Marvel's band of heroes.""
- Nick Gunnare, Blackman'n Robin
Brigador gifs gallery
Includes gifs and extra info on Brigador imgur.com.
"Design Reboot" design blog
Writings on design by Jack Monahan, 2009-2015 http://designreboot.blogspot.com/.
Jack Monahan on Twitch
Art stream for Brigador twitch.tv.
Hugh Monahan on Twitch
Level and game design stream for Brigador twitch.tv.
Team & Repeating Collaborator
Tapio Liukkonen (contractor)
Matt Pusti aka Makeup and Vanity Set (contractor)